Coming from California, the move from a suburban world to an electric metropolis was already overwhelming enough! If you are awaiting an admissions decision and a worried about moving your closet from your home to FIT, DON’T BE SCARED! It is possible! Here are a couple of travel tips that helped me while traveling across the country and back to FIT.
- First of all, make sure to pack wisely! – if you are a heavy packer (like myself) clothes may not be your friend when overweight luggage give you unwanted fees! Most airlines have a limit of 50 lbs. per checked bag, and don’t worry; FIT has an excellent mail room that will receive anything you left from home!
- Is it too late now to say… GOODBYE? – make sure you are at the airport/train station/bus terminal early and prepared to board! Major airports can have lines that take up to an hour to go through, so don’t miss your flight by arriving 2 hours before your departure!
- Be street smart – if you are new to New York City, be sure to keep an eye on your belongings. Purses, luggage, wallets – anything can be stolen, at any time! Although FIT is one of the safest colleges in America, New York City can be sketchy at times!
- Find the best deals for you! – As we all know, traveling can be expensive. By researching thousands of websites out there that are touting the lowest rates around you will be able to arrive to N-Y-C with MON-EY in your pocket!
- Get familiar with the MTA! – Once you are in NYC, learning the subway system might be one of your top priorities. There are plenty of apps you can download which give you live subway times and the best ways to get to your destination!
Love & Art,