As a new school school year approaches, Class of 2017 is preparing to apply to colleges across the nation. If you are interested in applying to FIT, here are some helpful tips to speed up your admissions process!1. CHOOSE A MAJOR! – The most important step of the process when applying to FIT, since you’ll begin studying what most interests you on day one. Find the program that best fits your talents and dreams. Remember: since FIT has a dual-degree system, you can always switch into another major for your Bachelors degree! For the list of the amazing undergraduate majors at FIT click here!
2. APPLY! – As a SUNY school, FIT requires it’s applicants to first file the SUNY application online. After you apply, you’ll receive confirmation that your application has been received. It can take 7-10 days to receive the first email from FIT after submitting the SUNY application, so don’t freak out if you don’t get it right away!
Then comes the FIT application. Submitting your supplemental admissions materials to FIT is the longest step! The Academic History and Essay form will be made available online after you have received your email from FIT. To submit these forms, you’ll need to access MyFIT using the provided FIT Username and Password. (Seems like alot but it’s a piece of cake, just be sure to not procrastinate.)
The essay is the most important asset of your application – besides letter grades on a transcript, it gives FIT a chance to get to know YOU and YOUR reason to pursue an educational career at FIT. Your essay should answer the following questions: What makes you a perfect candidate for FIT? Why are you interested in the major you are applying to?
BE CONCISE, COMPELLING AND GRAMMATICALLY CORRECT! (3 C’s will never fail you!)
3. SUBMITTING ADDITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS! – Along with the online academic history and the essay, be prepared to have all official secondary and post-secondary transcripts sent directly from your schools to FIT. For more information on sending in transcripts click here and go to STEP TWO – School Transcripts.
4. ART MAJOR = PORTFOLIO! – Art and Design applicants must submit a portfolio. You will be invited to submit your portfolio once your SUNY application has been received and processed by FIT. Please do not submit any artwork with your application. Business and Technology applicants may not submit a portfolio and materials received for these majors will not be reviewed or considered.
5. AP/CLEP & SAT/ACT SCORES – Official AP and/or CLEP scores, if any, are required when available. Official IB (International Baccalaureate) diplomas or certificates, if any, must be provided by the IBO.
SAT and ACT test scores are not required for admissions purposes. They are, however, required for the Honors Program. They are also required for placement into your English and Math classes at FIT. Use FIT school code 2257 when sending SAT scores, and code 2744 when sending ACT scores.
Check out more information about placement tests and sending scores here.
6. ENJOY YOUR SCHOOL YEAR! – Remember, stressing over an application can take a toll on yourself whether you are coming straight from high school, or are looking to transfer to FIT. Enjoy your school year, and be ready to bare the wait until acceptances are sent out in April!