Notes From the 6 Train: Exploring the Brooklyn Museum

This weekend I ventured to the Brooklyn Museum. I went to see the Jean Paul Gaultier exhibit (the same one as Brendan). Since he’s already covered it, I won’t spend much time on it. Just a quick thought: You should be aware of what’s happening in the art/music/fashion world, because it;s your craft and you be knowledgeable about it. Not to mention, whatever artists (well people in general) take in is what we put out. If we surround ourselves by inspiring music, people and art, we pick up some of it and it impacts what we produce.

I also went to A Fantastic Journey by Kenyan artist Wangechi Mutu. I frequent lots of museums and art shows but Wangechi’s, by far, is one the most interesting artists I’ve come across. And this exhibit is one of the best exhibits I’ve ever attended. Her pieces were filled with abstraction, but not so abstract that it became difficult to decipher a message. She gives the onlookers social critiques on “gender, race, war, colonialism, global consumption, and the exoticization of the black female body.” (Brookyln Museum.) She does this by giant collages, sketchbook drawings, film, animation and sculptural figures using the structure of the museum. By stitching together images of “African traditions, international politics, the fashion industry, pornography, and science fiction.” (Brookyln Musuem).Her art is impactful and moving, and like nothing I’ve ever seen before. 

Lastly, as we know all fashion and music are closely intertwined, two vines of the same plant. They compliment and provide inspiration to one another. Which is why it’s exciting to see Santigold, the Brooklyn based musician/ producer/ artist in Wangechi’s short film. The 8 minute animation is titled “The End of Eating Everything,” is a commentary about the period of mass consumption that we live in. It’s thought provoking, and short, so you should check it out. Below I’ve included a 3 minute excerpt from the longer video that can only be viewed at the museum. 

All things Color, Love & Fashion,

Ayanna L.

http://www.boldaslove.us/2013/03/23/watch-wangechi-mutu-feat-santigold-the-end-of-eating-everything/

One reply on “Notes From the 6 Train: Exploring the Brooklyn Museum”