Junior Day 2014- March 30th

Well hey everyone! This past weekend I was given the pleasure of meeting some of you, it was Junior day. Junior Day is for perspective students of FIT, of ALL majors. They will take you on tours, you will be able to meet with the dean and the president of the school, and you can meet some of the bloggers (exciting right? A REAL LIVE PERSON). I had the pleasure of presenting my portfolio to perspective art and design students along with our other blogger Ashley. Both of us being from two very different majors was definitely fun to see. Ashley is a photography major while I am an interior designer.

When they asked me if they could use my portfolio pieces from when I first entered school I said “UMMM do you have to?!” , because my work has improved so much just from the past two years. Looking back at that work it looked horrible to me and I would prefer that no one saw it again. But everyone insisted I showed it. After the presentation I was lucky enough to meet a few perspective interior design students, it reminded me of how I felt exactly two years ago. Nervous, anxious, and in complete aw of the big city. It’s crazy how your feelings and mindset change so quickly. New York to me now is still exciting, just not as big as I originally thought it was and interior design still has me in aww I’m just not as nervous.

During this session I offered a few students some direction and guidance from me, and I actually had one text me pictures for her portfolio, and I’m more than happy to help. Who better to help you then the person actually in the program right? Trust me in coming students I was just as nervous too, and I turned out great.

One question that really stood out to me was from a father with his daughter and he asked “How does commuting affect your social life?” and I replied ” I have 3 jobs, time for friends, homework and my boyfriend so not much”. Yes commuting does affect your life greatly but if you love what you do that time you put in doesn’t matter much now does it? I love every single one of my jobs I wouldn’t trade them for the world, so no matter how tired I am I am always happy to go, school is the same way. You have to be willing to sacrifice things sometimes to get what and where you want to be.

unnamedThis was the room we presented in, I had to post a picture of it. ( My love for commercial furniture is just too much).

unnamedThat’s my mom back in the corner, it was her FIRST time to NYC and FIT ever, crazy right? So what better time then when her daughters talking (haha).

If any of you have more questions feel free to ask me, or come to the next Junior Day on March 30th, I will be speaking again from 11-1:00pm in the Dubinksy Building 8th floor. I hope to see you all soon, I really do love seeing perspective FIT students!

Xoxo

Kailee

bgThat was driving to NYC for this wonderful event last saturday!