Studying Art History in the Cradle of the Renaissance

HELLO EVERYONE!

A great decision I made before coming to study in Florence was to plan all my classes and required credits I needed accordingly. I sat down with my counselor and spoke with her on the many possibilities in completing all those requirements. One suggestion that she made was to leave art history classes for when I came to Florence. Best decision I have made!

In my first semester spent here I took HA 112- History of Western Art and Civilization: Renaissance to the Modern Era. This course was geared towards religious, political, economic, and social conditions in relation to art, such as paintings, sculpture and architecture. It was very eye-opening and enriching towards learning about European culture, mostly events that happened in Florence!

The second Art History course, which I am currently taking is HA 212- Renaissance Art in Florence. It mainly focuses on paintings, sculpture, and architecture from the fourteenth to seventeenth century. Most of the course has been guided towards some of the major monuments and anything art related in Florence. It has been wonderful! Almost every week we have visited different sites, from churches to museums to piazzas!

All visits have been mesmerizing, we’ve got to see some of the most famous art pieces by important artists. Some of these include: The Trinity by Masaccio, The Statues of David by Donatello & Verrocchio, and of course, one of the biggest monument, the Duomo and Santa Maria del Fiore Cathedral.

There is so much art to explore here in Florence since it holds a great amount of the most important works in the world, better yet, it is the cradle of the Renaissance. I definitely recommend, if you are planning to study abroad here, to go for the option of taking these courses here and see all these majestic works in person.

Arrivederci, Maria