Notes From the 6 Train: Dias De Muertos

This young talented dancer caught my eye during her performance at the event "Noche de Altares", a celebration of Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead)
This young talented dancer caught my eye during her performance at the event “Noche de Altares”, a celebration of Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead)

Halloween can be tough, as it’s a time people openly disrespect a plethora of groups and communities through completely disrespectful cultural appropriation. I’m not suggesting to stop learning about other cultures, that would be absurd. We live in New York City, that’s kind of the whole point of living in this city! But there are ways to do in a tasteful, respectful and fun way, and in ways that will probably help you learn more about the traditions, culture more than dressing in some ridiculously offensive costume.

With that being said, is Halloween not your thing but you still want to blow of some steam this weekend once midterms conclude?

enhanced-buzz-17583-1383241310-5

I am doing art management/ direction for a performance piece on Halloween, so I won’t be doing much socializing. However, I am excited to say that I am celebrating my first Dia de Muertos! Dia de Muertos is a traditional Mexican tradition that takes place on November 1-2, in which families honor their dead by setting up alters, visiting their graves, and celebrating their lives.

enhanced-buzz-25808-1383240801-20

There is a Dias de Muertos festival being held this weekend by Mano a Mano, a cultural organization that focuses on Mexican culture. Below is the link to their website to learn more, as well a link to a video by Amanda Sternberg, the Hunger Games actress, where she talks about in depth about cultural appropriation.

What are you doing when midterms release it’s grips on you? Comment below.

With Color, Love & Fashion,
Aya

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emaoconnor/rue-just-perfectly-defined-cultural-appropriation#.llWBQK9PxB

http://www.dayofthedead.nyc/