5 Miscellaneous Tips For FIT Freshmen

Before I left home to begin my freshman year at FIT, I was constantly picking the brains of my older siblings, older best friends and basically anyone who had once been a college freshman. I wanted to know anything and everything that could have been beneficial to me. Now my freshman year is behind me and the list of things I’ve learned is endless. You’ll learn by having your own experiences and making your own mistakes, like those who came before you and those who will follow after you. But here are some boiled down, super random tips that I wish I had known as an incoming freshman!

1. Meet your future friends at New Student Orientation

Although it’s not mandatory, orientation is a great way to meet other students during your first week (DUH!) In fact, some of my closest friends to this day I met in my orientation group. Some students choose to skip the orientation activities entirely but I think thats the wrong move! Student Life works so hard on putting together fun things for you to do on campus and around the city, you shouldn’t miss out!

2. Naps are your BFFAEAE

We’re teenagers, we love to sleep. That’s nothing new. But learning how to integrate naps into your schedule is super beneficial. If you have a few hours between a morning class and afternoon class, hop right into your bed, get cozy and sleep for about 30-45 minutes! You’ll feel refreshed, rejuvenated and ready to learn. Just be sure to set an alarm to wake up in time!

3. Printing = $$$…Invest in your own printer

One thing I wish I had purchased before moving into my dorm is a printer. Preparing for a college dorm is super stressful as it is, and can cost a fortune. With college courses you’re required to print homework, essays, class notes, powerpoint slides etc. The FIT Library offers printing but you have to pay for it. If you don’t have your own printer, a weeks worth of printing from the library can begin to add up. It’s also super convenient having a printer where you live rather than a different building.

4. Going to the cafeteria rarely requires a cute outfit

Yes, we go to FIT, it’s obvious we all have a great sense of style. Yet we’re also college students that need to eat when we’re hungry, which is basically all the time. Attending one of the most fashionable schools in the nation, there are pressures to live up to it’s “dress code.” Sometimes you may feel pressure to impress other students, however that quickly dissipates. It’s really not necessary to change your clothes just to walk from one side of the block to another. If you need to eat dinner, and you’re already comfortable in sweats and a hoodie, ROCK that hoodie and sweats in the caf! Life isn’t always a fashion show.

5. You don’t always need EVERY textbook – just wait!

It’s always safe to order all of your textbooks before classes start, but I’ve learned that with some classes I don’t actually need the textbook. We all also know how expensive books can be each semester, so it’s worth waiting to know if you should actually spend the money or not. When the time comes to order, websites like Chegg or Amazon are perfect because you’re able to rent the textbooks for a much cheaper price and mail them back at the end of each semester.

2 replies on “5 Miscellaneous Tips For FIT Freshmen”

1. Hello,

I am an incoming freshman and read your comment about ordering the textbooks. I have no idea where to find out what textbooks I need to order but after reading what you said I guess I should wait until the first day of class? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Alexandra

2. Make a friend in every class!! Its very easy to fall behind, even after missing one lecture. If you make friends with someone in each of your classes you will have someone to exchange notes with, study with, and someone to update you on lectures if you have to miss a class. And i agree about naps! Make sure you are getting enough rest. You’re body can get run down very quickly!