It’s not uncommon, especially for an Art & Design student to have class from 9 AM – 9:30 PM. Ever since I started here at FIT, I’ve had a 9-9:30 schedule at least once a week. While this can be avoided if you don’t want to be in class all day, for commuters and students with jobs and internships, it’s sometimes necessary to condense your schedule into the smallest window of time. While you’re typically pretty tired by the end of the day, I have some tips and tricks to help you get through the 12+ hour day!
- Prepare: This may seem like common sense, but make sure that you have all of your supplies, binders, homework assignments, and notes that you need for the entire day. If you pack everything up in the morning, you’re more likely to forget something in a rush.
- Bring food: I highly recommend bringing your own snacks/lunch/dinner if you can! This will not only save you some money, but if you pack a great meal, it’s something to look forward to after class!
- Caffeinate: If you like your coffee in the morning or need some extra fuel, coffee can always help! We conveniently have our own Starbucks located in the Dining Hall!
- Don’t get ahead: While this may be the exact opposite of what you usually hear, having a 12 hour day is not easy. While it’s tempting to get ahead on your next assignment, you may only have 1 hour in between classes and that 1 hour may be precious time to refuel, take a quick nap, or study for your next class.
- Breathe: If you have small breaks in the day, take the time to not focus on your next class and enjoy your meal and time to yourself. Those little moments in the day will help prepare you for your next class.
Best of luck on those long days!