College can be stressful enough between classes, homework, projects, and still trying to have a social life, but adding on additional living expenses can take a toll, especially when living in an expensive city like New York. Here are some of my tips and tricks to spending a little less:
- Grocery Hunt. This may sound odd, but I highly recommend going to all of the local grocery stores and comparing the prices on what you typically by and making a note in your phone about where you should buy those specific products. Whether it is a $3 difference or 50 cents, everything adds up over a long period of time.
- Bed, Bath, and Beyond. BB&B has been one of the greatest go-to destinations for most of my shopping needs. BB&B has toiletries, necessities, first aid, you name it. Their sister store, Harmon’s, located on 22nd and 6th Ave has all of the toiletries and drugstore makeup products you need. Added bonus, sign up for the emails and you get a 20% off a single item coupon every few weeks.
- Plan your spending. Plan with your friends what you want to do for that week/weekend. If you know that you are going to a big event that costs money on the weekend, try to cut back from going out to eat or grabbing an expensive coffee during the week.
- Coupons and Membership Cards. This may sound self-explanatory but you’d be surprised how much you can save with rewards programs and email coupons. Every little bit helps and can make you feel better that you aren’t purchasing at full price.
- Purchase store brand. While you may live for the mornings where you can have Honey Nut Cheerios, I can guarantee that the cheaper Honey O’s from Trader Joe’s will be just as satisfying.
Best of luck!