First Summer in NYC – Loved It!

This last summer was the first that I ever spent fully in NYC. Normally, I head back home to Seattle, WA and work while staying with my family, but not this summer. I worked full time as an intern at Tory Burch and moved into my first ever off-campus apartment in Chelsea. This summer gave me a taste of what life would be like after school – my own apartment, full time work, class-free schedule, and a summer social life. 

Staying in NY for the summer was a tough decision because I rarely get to see my family and friends as things are now. Ultimately, I want to move back to the west coast for work, and I made the decision to stay in NY in hopes that it would accelerate my journey to find work back home. With every job I have in the industry here in NY, I become that much more valuable to my future employers, so the more work I can get for myself, the more likely I am to be hired elsewhere.

Living in NY for the summer was a dream, other than the weather (I am not a warm/humid weather person in the slightest). As I said, I continued work at Tory Burch with my wonderful team full time. Working full time in an office environment and a team that I love was a new experience for me entirely, but I can’t wait to get back to working full time once I graduate. Not having classes also meant that when the weekend rolled around, I could actually relax and have fun without having to block out any time to work on homework. Basically, I actually got to have a life out of FIT which was new for me. 

NYC is also a wonderful place to explore with friends over the summer. There are so many events going on that you can find something to do without even planning on it. Looking back on my time here over the summer, it has made me realize that I want to live in NY after graduating because I feel that the city is meant to be lived in when you are young, and if I left to go back home, I don’t think that I would ever come back to live here. NYC is willing to give you the life of your dreams if you let it.

NYC Pride 2019 near the Stonewall Inn
Far Rockaway Beach
NY Yankees Game
Pizza with friends in the park