Moving: Tips and Tricks

In my previous post, I mentioned that I am leaving Manhattan.  Not only is finding an apartment incredibly stressful, but the moving process is no joke either.  I’m here to help you out to make the process run as smoothly as possible!

• Pack early – The earlier you begin to pack, the sooner you know an estimate of how many boxes to tell the moving company and you feel more prepared going into the move.
  • Buy boxes – Unless you’re really, really busy, you should be able to find time to pack everything up yourself and not pay an arm and leg to have a moving company pack up all of your things.  I recommend purchasing boxes from Home Depot to get the best price.
  • Yelp everything – From moving companies to special deals, Yelp knows best when getting the best bang for your buck.  Most people that go out of their way to write reviews on Yelp are pretty passionate about the service that they received.  Look out for overall positive ratings and the most recent reviews.
  • Pick a day – If you know that you have to be out of your apartment by a certain day, plan in advance to move out as close to that day as possible to get the best bang for your buck.  Alternatively, move out a week from that last day so you can gradually transfer your belongings over from one apartment to the other, and potentially save money on a moving company.
  • Make a to-do list – I am the queen of making lists.  Nothing is more satisfying than completing a task and checking it off the list.  Making lists also help you remember what you need to still complete, pack up, or set aside.
  • Breathe – This is a tough one, but the more you plan, the more relaxed you will be, the smoother the move will go, the sooner you’ll be in your new home!

Best of luck!

Ashley

One reply on “Moving: Tips and Tricks”

1. I totally agree with your assessment that the more planning you do the more relaxed you’ll be when it matters. Being stressed the day of a move is going to happen. There are definitely things that you can do to make sure it’s as little as possible though. I thought these were some great ideas, even if they were as simple as remembering to breathe. Thanks for sharing!