#pledgepurple

pledge purp

Hi everyone,

I hope you’re enjoying this lovely weather and you got to enjoy all the fun stuff in the breezeway for pledge purple today. What is pledge purple you may ask? It is FIT as a community standing up and saying no to domestic violence, that you are not alone!

pledge

For me pledge purple was a very touchy subject,  I myself have been a victim of sexual harassment and for the longest time I was scared to admit it. I was scared people would think it was my fault that i let it get to that point. But when i said stop they didn’t listen and when it continued to happen and i said stop i knew something just wasn’t right.  Did you know that  1 in 3 women are victims of interpersonal violence? or how about nearly 80% ….yes i said 80%, of females reported experiencing a least one incident of physical or sexual aggression by the end of college? Its all around us and sometimes what seems to be a joke can turn out to be so much more then that.

There are so many cases of domestic violence not just with women or college students it happens to men to and to the men reading this if this is happening to you , you are not alone. An abusive wife or partner may hit, kick, bite, punch, spit, throw things or destroy your possessions. To make up for any difference in strength , but of course domestic abuse doesn’t haven’t to be just violent it could also be verbal abuse. They may belittle you or humiliate you in front of your friends, colleagues, or family. Be possessive, act jealous, ,make false allegation about you to the people around you. All these are also signs of abuse or domestic violence.

plede If it makes you feel uncomfortable then you dont have to be nice and play it off, you say no. If they dont stop when you say no , you find someone to help you. Talk to a counselor , go online find the nearest group you can go to talk about your problems, go to the police, you have so many options all around you! Dont ever let it get to that point!

To learn more you can go to www.nyc.gov/domesticviolence

pledge p] So thanks to these lovely people i will wear my shirt with pride and i will take my stance against domestic violence! So as of this very moment  today…

I pledge:

to RECOGNIZE that non-consensual sex is sexual assault.

to IDENTIFY situations in which sexual assault may occur.

to INTERVENE in situations where consent has not or can not be given.

to CREATE an environment in which sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors are supported.

This is my pledge , i hope you will join me and the many others that pledged today! Dont forget to tag #FITPLEDGEPURPLE and #Admissionsblog to help promote our wonderful event today on instagram, facebook and twitter.  We would love to know you were there!

XOXO
Kailee