So it Begins

Let’s go places

Today is the beginning of an epic trip around the world. Well, really around Europe and also Central America. My journey starts today flying into Panamá City to take part in the International Trade and Marketing Practicum. The class is technically part of the ITM major, but can be taken by anyone. Each year the class goes to a different important trade city, including Vietnam, Shanghai, and Brazil.

After Panamá I will be back in New York for just three days before catching another flight to Italy for a semester abroad. Hopefully I will be able to visit several cities in Italy as well as around Europe during the semester, why not seize the chance while I’m already across the Atlantic, right? Finally, I will be ending my looong adventure by walking el Camino de Santiago de Compostela. That is one of the medieval pilgrimages across the north of Spain. My last stop will be Barcelona before coming back to New York. I am so excited!

It is totally fair to be asking why am I doing all of this. Well, it was actually a sort of mistake. I always planned on studying abroad, and while in Fashion Design I assumed I would be doing a year in Milan for my Bachelor’s. However, when I switched majors I was told that Fabric Styling does not have any study abroad programs. I was devastated but decided that it was more important to be happy for two years than one year abroad. This is the reason I am now about to board a flight to Panamá. Thinking I would be filling my need to travel with winter and summer programs I decided on a textile research project for this class and paid the deposit. A week after paying my non-refundable deposit my department notified my entire major that this was the first time a study abroad program would be offered and that this was really the only semester we could do it. Now I had my chance and I didn’t want to miss out! So, after discussing it with my parents we decided I might as well go for it and pay them back this summer.

Finally after months of forms, stressful meetings, worrying and daydreaming the day to start my best (*fingers crossed*) semester ever! Stay tuned.

Hola Panamá

–Emily–