My Summer at GUESS?

Hi everyone!

My name is Sam!  This is my first post, and I look forward to sharing my student life.  I’m a third-year Production Management student, and enjoy FIT because of the classes we take and the opportunities we have outside the classroom.  I hope you will get a window into my experiences as an FIT student through my blog posts.  Here’s one part of my college life:
This past summer, I interned for GUESS? at their world headquarters in Los Angeles.  Not only was it a fun work environment where everyone was incredibly welcoming and generous with their time and resources, but their internship program was pretty sweet too!  The program ran for 10 consecutive weeks with about 35 interns in all different departments.
Since we worked full time, we definitely got a taste of what it would be like as regular employees.  Additionally, the HR and Training department went out of their way to set up fun events for us, including a mixer at the start where we played icebreaker games, a charity bake sale, and my personal favorite, Denim Day!
GUESS? is know for their iconic denim marketing, and the process behind each pair of jeans is surprisingly involved.  While GUESS? has its own “laundry” (where denim is developed on site), we were bussed to a bigger facility in LA.  In order to give everyone the taste of the development process, we all received unwashed denim “blanks” that we hand-sanded, distressed, cut and then had washed to our desired shade.  I was lucky enough to intern for the denim development department, and got to spend a lot of time with the laundry technician in the onsite facility.  When we had the event, it was so much fun to share what my internship was like, especially with the finance and legal interns who were new to the fashion industry.
Overall my time in LA this past summer was a blast, and I am so thankful that FIT’s good reputation enabled me to pursue an internship on the other side of the country!
I look forwards to sharing more of my FIT experience with you all through the blog, and if you have any question about Production Management and what we learn about, please send me an email at [email protected].  I’d love to speak more about the program!
Best,
Sam

One reply on “My Summer at GUESS?”