Adopt Don’t Shop!

This past weekend I took a quick trip to Southern Connecticut to visit my older brother, Sean, and his girlfriend, Tammy! It’s always great seeing and spending time with my brother, and its super easy to get to Connecticut from NYC. The weather was picture perfect – a fresh, crisp fall day. I was too excited to be wearing a sweater 😉

Tammy, is a regular volunteer with an organization called Pet Rescue. I was always envious of the puppies and kittens she was able to spend time with, so I told her I would love to come be a part of one of the organizations event’s! Luckily, Pet Rescue was having a fundraiser that weekend!

Pet-Rescue-logoPet Rescue is an animal shelter who’s main mission is to aid homeless, abandoned and neglected cats and dogs, to nurture them in the foster care of volunteers, to provide veterinary care and socialization, and to place them in permanent loving and responsible homes.

All while my brother has been with Tammy, I’ve known her to have little special friends who are staying with her, whether it be a kitten with multiple sclerosis or a pit bull puppy looking for a home. Pet Rescue is not a formal shelter in this sense. It has a group of very loving volunteers who foster the animals for a time being until a home can be found for them. I so respect Tammy, and the other volunteers for fostering, because they provide a wonderful life for these pets and may have to give them up once a permanent home is found for them! It would be so hard for me to have to say goodbye, however, knowing they go to a new home is wonderful.

The fundraising event was so much fun! It was all outside, with live music, arts, crafts, food and drink! Multiple shelters had brought dogs of all breeds and ages that were looking for new homes. Many dogs found new homes that day, which is the major goal, and made me and many others very happy!

I kept calling it doggy heaven (for me) because I was surrounded by so many pups! I loved it 🙂 Here are a few pics of some of the dogs I met. Not the best quality because they were just as excited as I was, and wouldn’t stop moving haha IMG_8257 IMG_8269 IMG_8253 IMG_8252 IMG_8262

I cannot wait to have my own dog someday, and I’ve always wanted to rescue. But volunteering at this event made me realize even more how important it is to “ADOPT DON’T SHOP”, when looking for a new furry friend. There are so many abandoned dogs and cats across the US that need a home and are perfectly cute, loving, smart and healthy. It also sparked the need for me to volunteer for something I’m passionate about…and I think this may be it!

If you or anyone you know is looking to adopt, definitely look into Pet Rescue! Or if you’d like more information on volunteering! Follow their Instagram for new pets looking for homes.

Where do you volunteer? How does it make you feel? Let me know in the comments 🙂

Have a great week! – Brendan 🙂

3 replies on “Adopt Don’t Shop!”

1. Isn’t working with animals the best? I volunteer at an animal shelter and have fostered a few dogs throughout the years. Its such a rewarding experience but also bittersweet when they leave my home. You get so attached to them but are happy knowing that they are going to a caring home. I rescued my dog from the shelter and she is the best and most loving dog I have ever had. I agree with “Adopt, Dont Shop”! There are so many animals out there at shelters that need homes. I truly believe rescue dogs are the best kind of dogs

1. Yes! Working with animals is definitely something I look forward to doing more in my life. It has to be extremely bittersweet fostering animals and then once they find a home, having them leave – I don’t know if I could be strong enough to do it. I can’t wait until the day I am ready and able to have a dog because I will rescue. They deserve so much love! Thanks for your comment 🙂

2. Yes its defiantly hard letting them go after having them in your life. I try to stay in contact with the owners though so I know how they are doing. And I’m happy to hear you want to rescue a dog in the future. You sound like you will make a great doggie parent.