Notes From the 6 Train: Why Being A Student Rocks (Even Though We’re All Ready For Summer)

I recently went to see “A Raisin In The Sun,” for just $20, (a show with tickets easily climbing into several hundred dollars) thanks to FIT’s discounted student tickets! This was the first time I’ve ever attended a play using a student ticket, actually this was my first NYC play! (My first place was starring Denzel Washington, can you believe it?) to be able to see such a big star, in such an amazing play for so cheap! If you all don’t about of A Raisin In The Sun, written by Lorraine Hansbury. it’s name is borrowed from a line a Dream Deferred, an immensely popular poem written by Harlem Renaissance writer Langton Hughes. The plot is about the perils, the Younger’s,a dysfunctional family, experience shortly after the death of the father. It deals with the very real issues of assimilation, class issues, sexism and racism. This piece of art is an extremely popular literary pillar of black American culture. In fact, I’ve seen/ read this piece of work several times, but it wasn’t until just seeing it the other day that I got it. I mean, really understood, the type of understanding that comes only with experiencing life.

Theater_Review_A_Raisin_in_the_Sun_-00521_image_982w

I stress taking advantage of these NYC student perks, because they don’t last forever and you’ll regret i if you don’t cease the opportunity now. Honestly,How many people can say there were afforded the opportunity to see award winning New York City plays for twenty dollars? Not many, that’s for sure.