Notes From The 6 Train: My Favorite Time of the Year!

Black History Month! ( Hooray, Hooray)! This month is full of so many interesting colloquiums & presentations. I have already attended several events and will continue throughout the month. Over the beak I was fortunate enough be informed about this group amazing group of women who go by Black Women’s Blueprint. “Black Women’s Blueprint, Inc. is a civil and human rights organization of women and men. Our purpose is to take action to secure social, political and economic equality in American society now.” Currently, they are working on two projects that will premier this weekend in Brooklyn. Last week I went to the Museum of Women’s Resistance (the museum the organization created and are housed in) to help with the Dwelling exhibition. the term Dwelling conveys both physical meaning, a place or residence, and emotional meaning, to linger or emphasize. In addition in aiding with the physical actual structure, two pieces I wrote are going to be included in the exhibition. I’m excited for the debut of Dwelling this Sunday.

“Mother Tongue: Monologues for Truth Bearing Women, Emerging Sons and Other Keepers of the Flame, ” also goes up this weekend. This event will employ the use of ” dance and vocals used in a brazen and spellbinding exploration of Black men and women’s complex histories of struggle and triumphs and pull the audience into deeper conversation about one of the most contentious subjects in Black sexual politics—the violence of Black men against Black women.” Unfortunately, America is a highly violent country and the amount of violence (physically, sexually, etc.) taken out against is frighteningly high. The fact that this cultural has been so normalized is what’s even more scary. Events that open up conversation about these happen are quite special (see Sadie’s post about Take Back The Night.) I often attend events, forums, panels, that talk about this particular societal illness. As a result, I know it’s not often that the main speakers are men. Because the topic is so emotionally charged, it’s understandable, (however, not acceptable) how many men feel alienated and turn away from having such an important conversion. When an occasion rises that men are vulnerable openly set the stage to have this conversation, you can bet I will be in attendance.
That is exactly what The Mother Tongue Monologue will be, an open conversation. As someone who has participated in clubs/ been a peer educator about against sexual violence,especially on college campuses, this is supremely exciting. Seeing strides toward societal reconciliation always is, especially when it’s in your own community. (Being able to go for free because I volunteered is also pretty great.) I know that this event will be soul stirring, enlightening and healing. I am thankful eternally grateful that the women of Black Women’s Blueprint who are organizing this event. If you aren’t busy this Saturday, check out this event! Tickets are only $10. Being apart of a healing movement such as just for just $10 sounds like quite a steal. I have attached a link to the flyer below.

BWB Mother Tongue Monologues Press Kit (1)

Ps. You know I had to bring fashion into this. Did I mention how all of the women are wearing red to demonstrate… If that’s not color symbolism, I don’t know what is!

All things Color, Love & Fashion,

Ayanna L.