A Night With Janis Joplin

Before we even get into this post, I need to ask you something: do you know who Janis Joplin is? If not, I’m gonna need you to open up a new tab and Google her right now. Wait, I’ll make it easy for you. I love Janis. I love her because she was flawed (she died at 27 of a drug overdose after a constant battle with alcoholism), but she let her passions drive her and put everything she had into her songs. Of course when I heard Janis was coming to Broadway I knew I wouldhave to see the show.

Finally, I went last weekend with a friend who studies theater at NYU. We did rush tickets and got front row seats. Yep, front row. Right in the middle too! All for the low, low price of $30. Rush tickets are a godsend for anyone who is interested in theater. These tickets are sometimes only available for students, so be sure to take advantage of it as much as you can before graduating. The policy for rush tickets differs for every show but usually it entails a certain number of tickets go on sale the day of the show either when the box office opens in the morning or two hours before curtain. The price and location of the seats varies, but I have usually only paid between $30 and $40 per ticket and gotten seats very close to the stage. (I was in the sixth and then second row forHow to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying – I saw it twice)

If you like Janis, or are interested in the history and development of rock and roll music A Night With Janis Joplin is a great show to see. It is done in the style of a concert with interludes of storytelling and guest appearances from other famous and influential blues singers. As much as I loved the show, I do think that it would have been more successful if it was done in a smaller, underground concert space without any seats. The actors are constantly trying to interact with the audience the way a performer would at a real concert, but the austerity of the grand “Broadway” theater and the etiquette it demands made the interactions awkward. Other than that, the costumes were amazing, the on-stage band was fantastic, the supporting cast, although small, was show stopping and the leading lady was an almost identical embodiment of Janis herself. If you bothered to click on the links I provided, you would know Joplin’s voice is extremely distinctive and her style of singing, speaking and moving are alien to the modern person, yet Mary Bridget Davies nails her performance. You have to get into the spirit of Janis Joplin to really enjoy the show, but it is definitely worth it.

And if Joplin doesn’t float your boat, take advantage of the multitude of other theater options that offer discount rush tickets!

–Emily–

2 replies on “A Night With Janis Joplin”

1. Thanks for revealing your ideas. I’d also like to convey that video games have been ever before evolving. Better technology and inventions have aided create sensible and fun games. Most of these entertainment games were not that sensible when the real concept was first being used. Just like other designs of technology, video games as well have had to evolve by many generations. This itself is testimony towards the fast growth and development of video games.