Notes From the 6 Train: Rockin’ Out With Recommendations

So, It’s that time of the year. Recommendation time that is.
(yay) I am always applying for a bunch of stuff. And am always in need of good recommendations. Here’s a few tips I’ve picked up along the way:

Like Brendan mentioned in his last post, begin building relationships with your teachers. This also means do well in class. This doesn’t mean that you have to get 100’s on every assignment, but stay engaged in class and try. This will encourage the professor to not just write the letter for you, but will do it happily because they want you to be successful.

-That leads me to my next point, ask someone who will actually write nicely about you, the professor of the class that you feel asleep in a few times? Probably not the best person to ask.

-Be sure to ask with enough time, don’t do it 2 days before the letter is needed.

-Do the work for them. Send them the info and your resume so that information to pull from. they are doing you a favor, don’t make it more labor intensive for them then it has to be.

-Sometimes you have to do some ground work. For a scholarship I just applied for I had to literally track down my teacher and wait by the door for one of her classes to finish to get her signature (she sent the recommendations via email but they weren’t considered valid without her signature)

-Know that who you chose to get the recommendation whether it’s a professor, faculty member or former boss, may change depending on the position or type of recommendation you need.

-Finally, be sure to thank them. Once again, they’re doing you a favor and professors are busy just like everyone else, so appreciate that they’ve taken their time to help you out.

Here’s a catchy tune to help you remember:

All things Color, Love, & Fashion,
Ayanna L.