Notes From the 6 Train: Envisioning the Bigger Picture

Hello all!

So I just received some incredibly exciting news! I was told that of the recipients of this year’s PVH $5,000.00 Scholarship! *Yay, throws glitter & dances in it as it falls to the ground.* (This is the scholarship I mentioned in last week’s webcast.)

I want to talk about this scholarships because this was probably one of the most challenging scholarships I’ve ever applied for. The deadline for this particular scholarship was in the midst of midterms and massive projects. Though it was stressful time with all the work and the scholarship was quite extensive, I knew that’s exactly the reason most people wouldn’t even bother to apply. And I was right. Out of all of the ITM students, only three, including myself, showed up to the interview.

This could be you!
This could be you!

To be completely, although there was only a few of us, I was worried about the interview. I had another scholarship interview in the middle of midterms, was unable to prepare adequately, and felt very unsure in the actual interview. This uncertainty had definitely been picked up by the interviewers, and I didn’t get that scholarship. (Hey, you win some, you lose some.)

But when I met with Guy Vickers, the president of The Tommy Hilfiger Corporate Foundation, he was so kind and put me completely at ease. There was also a designer from Clavin Klein, a former PVH Scholarship recipient & FIT student, as well as Christine Pomeranz, the department head of the ITM program. Needless to say, panel interviews can be a little intimidating, but a little research of the company and confidence in yourself and experience goes a long way.

If you are an ITM student, I highly encourage you to apply for these specialized ITM scholarships! Other majors have specialized scholarships as well, so even if you’re not an ITM major, do some research in your department and you qualify for one those.

Here’s the officially press release if you want to check it out.

Click to access PVH_Announcement2015.16_FINAL.pdf

All Things Color, Love & Fashion,
Ayanna Lane