Notes From The 6 Train: Open House 2k14

A few weeks ago was FIT’s annual Open House! The bloggers got to participate and spoke on the LIFE at FIT panel. This was my first Open House ever. When I applied to FIT I wasn’t able to the FIT Open House. So thanks to everyone who’s checking out our blog byway of Open House.

FIT tour guides!
FIT tour guides!

I appreciated the opportunity bloggers we’re always behind the screen. Though we get numbers on views, it can begin to feel like we’re writing into a void, especially when no one comments on our posts (so comment if you have a question or suggestion. we ALL love it!) It’s such a pleasure to connect with our audience in real time, in front of the screen. (That way you can see just how attractive and witty we all are in real life.)

Having this opportunity to interact with prospective students reminded me of how nerve wracking this entire “life after (high) school,” rhetoric can be. Many of these worries and thoughts are similar to students preparing to graduate FIT. Many of us (shoutout to Sadie) can sympathize and relate to those questions that tend to bubble up, no matter how many deep breathing exercises we do. Questions such as what happens now?, am I making the right choice?, what if this isn’t the right choice?, and all the other questions that sprout in our minds when faced with uncertainty.

I dare say most are more nervous when graduating college because unless there is no orderly roadmap to success. No more checking boxes to register for classes and following syllabus to know that what you’re doing is going to get you exactly what you want. And that’s okay, in fact it’s as equally as exciting as it is nerve-racking. It means that another layer of possibilities has just been unfolded.

Look how Sadie is!
Look how Sadie is!

The good news, at least for the students at Open House, is that you are beginning to take control ownership of your life. By taking the time and exploring, researching, comparing and learning about what school, or maybe realizing that school is not in your plans right now,you have stepped into the driver’s seat of your destiny. That is something to be celebrated. As application season continues, remember that you are in control of your own destiny.

All things Color, Love, & Fashion,
Ayanna L.

5 replies on “Notes From The 6 Train: Open House 2k14”

1. Hi! I’m an out of state resident (from South Carolina) and it’s always been a dream of mine to go to FIT (sorry if that sounds cliche). I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips on getting into FIT or if someone could look over my designs to see if I’m on the right track. Because I’m out of state I’m not really sure what the admissions are looking for as I’ve seen a range of accepted portfolios online.