The Writing Studio

FIT_Writing_Studio_Logo

If I have learned anything from my experiences working, I know that the two things that are most important for any job are good writing and speaking skills. Yet, no one is born a talented speaker or writer (I don’t know if you know this, but babies literally cannot speak or write!)

Fear not! If you feel that your skills are not up to par there is help available! The Writing Studio (located in Feldman Center Room 612) provides a collaborative process to enhance each student’s abilities and personal voice, not just edit papers. Although there are some professional tutors on staff, most of us are also students that have been carefully evaluated and selected. I say “us” because I am a tutor at the writing center!

I think the fact that it is peer tutoring is actually very helpful. We can relate to you about stress, school work, life at FIT and probably answer most of your questions about anything, not just writing. We also have insight into some of your classes, teachers and experiences here.

Brian Fallon, Director of the Writing Center

It is easy to make an appointment (you can also do a walk-in, but if we are booked we have to honor our scheduled appointments first). Just log in with your FIT username and password, go to the day and time you want to meet, and fill out the form that pops up. (Be sure to check everything especially the time. It automatically makes the time for 15 minutes so if you want more you will have to change the drop down box)

We help with brainstorming ideas, organizing papers, helping plan research, and even with personal writing and resumes. Often, we work with ESL (English as a Second Language) students who are not used to writing papers in English.

Some tutors also provide the option of online tutoring, which can be helpful for commuting students. If you want a little guidance but cannot make it into the writing center be sure to check out the writing guides we  provide.

Or you can come in and say hi to me! Either way, you get all this for the low, low price of…free!

–Emily–