One of the most coveted volunteer weeks opportunities is rapidly approaching… Fashion week of course! As FIT students, we are lucky because our school has so many amazing connections that we have one of the most comprehensive volunteer programs related to fashion week. Even though this is true, there are still a few tips to increase the chances of being able to volunteer since there are a limited number of positions.
– About a week or two before fashion week, start monitoring you email/ school announcements so you know exactly when sign ups are.
– GET THERE EARLY! I know this goes without saying, but some people are there literally hours before sign ups even start & still aren’t able to find positions.
– Be proactive, start researching companies early & reach out. There are plenty of websites that post fashion opportunities. Stepping out on your may is always good because volunteering opportunities through FIT is not guaranteed.
– Don’t be upset if you don’t get chosen to help a famous designer, there is still plenty to learn from an up & coming designer. Since there aren’t so many people clamping to work with them, you may have a chance to connect with the whole team a little. Use it as your chance to shine! And who knows, you may get a job or internship offer as a result!
– If you have worked/ volunteered at fashion week in the past and enjoyed the experience, it’s imperative to keep those connections. Maintaining relationships is one of the most important skills to be successful in any job, especially in fashion, and super especially, especially during fashion week.
– Lastly, don’t feel obligated to participate in fashion week. If you’re not really interested – it is an opportunity you may want to experience, but not everyone is into high fashion and couture- that’s okay too. Always listen to your truth. Happy fashion week hunting!
All things Color, Love & Fashion,