Fashion designers from all over the world get their start at FIT. Many come back to learn even more skills, to stay on the cutting edge of fashion design and development. FIT has concentrations in menswear or womenswear.
Whether you’ve been creating your own fashions since you were a tiny tot or just decided yesterday you were meant to be a designer, Precollege can get you set up with the skills you need to start or improve!
11-session Precollege Courses
We recommend a high school Precollege Live Class:
- Sewing for Fashion Designers- learn technical sewing skills, seams, finishes, and hems, as well as how to properly use a pattern. You will sew your pieces on an industrial sewing machine. Suitable for both men and womenswear.
Summer Precollege Session Fall Precollege Session
Spring Precollege Session
We recommend a high school Precollege Workshop:
- Designing a Fashion Mini Collection – learn how to develop a womenswear collection using mix and match techniques
- Menswear Fashion Illustration – learn how to translate your ideas into a menswear collection.
- A Week in the Life of a Menswear Designer – shadow a menswear designer to see how the design world works
- Simply Sewing – get the basics of sewing on a residential machine.
- Introduction to Draping Using Half Scale – ease your way into fashion draping using easy-to-manage small scale mannequins.
- Fashion Design Finding Inspiration – go from idea to mood board, to creative collection for evening or ready-to-wear.
- Costume and Couture Rendering – learn how to use markers and colored pencils to make your designs look realistic.
- A Week in the Life of a Fashion Designer – shadow a womenswear designer to see how the design world works.
- Wearable Technology: Fashion Meets Function – learn how to add the latest tech innovations into your fashion collections.
Summer Session Fall Session Spring Session
1-day Creative Career Series
On Saturday, April 13th, spend the afternoon with fashion designer, Christopher Uvenio. Christopher will go over his journey from fashion school to working for design houses such as Todd Olham and Anna Sui.
Wherever you are on your journey, there is a Precollege learning experience for you!