Instructor Spotlight: Josh Tierney

JoshTierneyJosh Tierney is a multidisciplinary designer and creative director. His diverse background and understanding of fashion, styling, visual merchandising, theater, fashion, graphics, interiors, food, and art have provided him with a unique point of view for planning and designing unique events.  Josh has worked on events of all sizes and scope, in venues in the New York area and beyond.  His work has been featured in Biz Bash, the leading event planning news magazine, as well as Edible, the Knot, Brides, Hamptons Cottages & Gardens, and Town & Country.  Josh is an FIT alumnus, with degrees in Display & Exhibit Design, and Fabric Styling.

Professor Tierney teaches: HSX 067: Fashionable Affairs: Events Made Easy
Do you love parties? Do you love design?  Whether you’re a socialite or a budding event planner, this course will teach you everything you need to know about the basics of planning and designing a memorable party.  Fun, collaborative, and interactive – you’ll design tabletops, centerpieces, mood boards, and more.  Make your next event unique, stylish and unforgettable using china, glassware, linens, and décor in creative ways. .  Learn the ins and outs of event design from an industry pro.
Register HERE

Teaching Philosophy:
Teaching Precollege is all about exploration; enlightening students to new ways of thinking, and exposing them to possibilities for their future.  My class is all about giving students a taste of event planning and design, and the students’ individual journeys in figuring out what want to know more about.  My goal in teaching Precollege is really to spark passion, and the first step for students defining their passion is figuring out what they really love.  I apply my professional experience, education, and knowledge to teaching the class, calling on real-world industry contacts to share their experiences with the students, providing three-dimensional field trips and lectures.

On Precollege Programs:
Having attended FIT’s Precollege programs myself over a decade ago, I remember the impact the courses had on my life at that time, and how Precollege ultimately set a course for my educational and professional career.  Precollege provided both a creative outlet as well as insights into the fashion and related industries.  I ultimately attended FIT for college.  The class I teach, Fashionable Affairs, meets in the same classroom where I attended Precollege as a 16 year old, and my Precollege instructor, now a colleague, teaches a class across the hall.  The transition from student to instructor has been a surreal experience, but is characteristically unique to the FIT experience.

Industry Experience:
Executive Creative Director at Great Performances

362049_800_5bb877385475_800_13bb0a ND3_4712   tribeca_bday_1 winter_party_1

Tags: