Introducing New Precollege Blogger – Mary

Hello!  I’m Mary, a 16-year-old FIT Precollege student from Long Island, NY.

I am quite petite, but I have huge dreams that I am determined to accomplish.  My greatest aspiration in life is to be a successful fashion stylist.  I love dressing up myself and my friends and trying out new things, whether they are noted trends or something completely out there and ridiculous.  Taking risks is what I do and it shows through my personal style.  I like to wear clothing from specific eras mixed together unexpectedly; some days you will see me wearing red lipstick, thigh highs, and a floral dress with Dr. Martens, other days I will be wearing liquid leggings, metallic oxfords, with a vintage blouse.  Conformity bores me and my style is always evolving. It is hard to keep up with myself sometimes.  Instead of being an outcast in school for being different, people respect me and often tell me I inspired them to try something new. This makes me feel amazing because I feel one step closer to becoming an influential stylist in the fashion industry.

I am currently taking ‘Styling of Fashion, Food and Home Products for the Visual Industry‘ which is directly related to what I want to do as a career.  I also took ‘The Ins and Outs of Fashion Merchandising‘ this past spring.  The first course I took was very informative in learning the vital terms for the business part of fashion, I advise anyone interested in fashion to take this class reguardless of what specific major you want to pursue.  I learned about every angle of the fashion industry from the primary market to the designers and couture runway to the everyday consumer.

I have taken an interest in fashion my entire life, and this passion has only grown over the years.  In middle school, I realized fashion could be more than just my life, I could make a living out of it.  Since then, I have been doing all that I can to prepare myself to get into FIT, such as spending hours watching documentarys on designers and memorizing designer’s names and signature looks.  I sound pretty serious about all this but I still know how to make time for other things I enjoy such as blogging things that inspire me (stay-g-0-l-d.tumblr.com), film photography, shopping, cooking/baking, reading, graphic design/silk-screening t-shirts, working (at an italian restaurant c:), watching movies, exploring the city, and of course just hanging out with my friends and boyfriend.

I live and breathe fashion and I really feel so fortunate to live only an hour train ride from the most fashionable city in the world. It would be so much easier to sleep in late on Saturday mornings but I love waking up and going to class, it doesn’t feel like a chore like highschool often does.  I also love taking after-class trips with my friends to Buffalo Exchange, lunch at Nooch, and just taking the subway to Soho and St. Marks Place to enjoy the amazing street style.  New York City is a magical place and FIT just adds to its charm.  I hope to use this blog as an outlet to share my inspirations, advice, and experiences at FIT Precollege with those who also attend or are thinking about taking a class in the future.

xoxo,

Mary