How Was My First Day at FIT Precollege?

My first day of Summer Live was spectacular! I came excited and ready to learn, as well as meet my class and professor. When I arrived on campus I felt my mood improve instantaneously, being at FIT makes me happy, I feel like I belong.

The class that I am taking, Anatomy of Fashion, is taught by Professor Christopher Uvenio. I’m really looking forward to this class because Professor Uvenio seems so excited and enthusiastic in teaching us. I know I am going to have a lot of fun and learn a lot from him.

We began class by briefly introducing ourselves to the rest of the class; I noticed how unique everyone was dressed, and how they represented their personalities in their clothing. After this, we did a pre-test so Professor Uvenio could see our drawing skills. We were asked to sketch a simple fashion form. Drawing isn’t really my forte, but I think mine came out okay for my first try. Our professor then talked about a bunch of different designers and what we would be doing in the class. He showed us an example of a fashion journal, which we will be making. Our fashion journals will be books showing all different kinds of inspiration we see from magazines. We will collage these images into the book to create mood pages. It seems like a project that I will very much enjoy because I have always loved making collages.

After the break, our class went across the street to the Fashion Design Bookstore on 27th Street. Even though this is my third class at FIT, this was my first trip to this amazing store. When we entered it was bustling with many fashion students picking up their supplies. I highly recommend checking out this store, even if you aren’t in need of art supplies, it is fun to just browse!

One thing that I bought is The Fashion Book by Phaidon. Our professor said that we would love it, and so far I’m hooked! I started reading it on the train ride home and couldn’t put it down! It’s filled with tons of information on designers, photographers, icons, and more, all from A to Z. I highly recommend checking out this book, as well.

Our class ended by discussing more of what was in store. We will be visiting the FIT Museum as well as the FIT library to do research. I’m thrilled for the rest of this class because I know it will be very fun and informative.

I left FIT today feeling inspired, confident, and so excited for the upcoming classes. I am very glad that I decided to take this course, even though it is a little different from what I normally gravitate towards, I know it is exactly what I am looking for.

Until next time,

Justine