FIT Photography Class Trends 2016

Hey Precollegers!
Unlike most of the courses offered at FIT, photography is one of the subjects that isn’t fashion oriented. Walking around campus on a Saturday or Sunday, you’ll see a majority of precollege students donning the newest trends and designer clothing and accessories. However, in the photography department, things run a little differently. Not to say that photographers don’t dress well and are clueless on style, but most of my classmates and I possess a style that is practical, yet artistic. I have noticed some reoccurring trends that are present in the classroom, and I’ve decided to dedicate this week’s blog to photography class trends. I like to think of a simple description of a photographer’s style this way: photographer’s can’t care as much about how they look compared to other people—they’re too busy making sure that everyone else looks good.

1. Dark colors
Especially when working in the darkroom, darker colors are important to wear to hide chemical stains. Wearing black when shooting in the studio is also helpful to not distract from the shoot, and it’s easier to tell who the photographers are when they’re in all dark colors. The only downside to dark clothing in the studio is that you’ll be a little warmer due to dark colors attracting heat from light. Other than that however, when in doubt, I just opt for black.

2. Stylish but comfortable footwear
I’ve noticed that a lot of people in my class wear Vans and Doc Martens—comfortable shoes that are easy to style and can really add character to an outfit. I’m a huge fan of both shoes, and they also add to the cool-artistic- alternative vibe that photographers tend to possess. Yes, we know we’re better than you. And we’re wearing dark colors and angsty footwear to prove that. (I really hope that you’ve noted my sarcasm here).
3. Fjällräven backpacks
As someone in my class once said “This is the backpack owned by every art student ever”. At my high school, maybe 3 other kids have this bag, but walking into class on the first day I found myself matching with 4 other girls! These backpacks are from Sweden and were originally designed for Swedish school children, hence their playful and childish vibe. They are a very bold and unique shape, and add a lot of personality to any casual outfit. They are also just the right size to carry a photography binder and camera, two obvious necessities for this class. To personalize their bags, some of my classmates sew on patches or attach pins to them, too.
4. Thrifted pieces
A majority of my class are second hand enthusiasts—myself included. Thrifted jeans, flannels, jackets and t-shirts are often found on the students in my class. Comfortable, practical, and probably cheaper, thrifted pieces are perfect to wear in an artistic class with a lot of moving and creating. Although our outfits are pretty simple for the most part, one of a kind pieces are sure to add character to a seemingly basic ensemble.

Layers of black textures with statement Docs
3 ladies rocking their Fjällrävens--original and mini sizes
3 ladies rocking their Fjällrävens–original and mini sizes
Thrifted mom jeans, various vans, and dark colors
Thrifted layers with darker and muted tones

I hope this post gave you all some insight on typical precollege photographer styles!

See you next week!
-Francesca