What Inspires Me

Hello readers! This week I would like to talk about where I find inspiration. My passions are not purely creative, so what inspires me to work and pursue my dreams might be different from artists or creative writers, so I thought I would share. One of the most inspiring things for me personally is learning and witnessing others find success in doing what they are most passionate about. For example, in class this past Saturday, my classmates and I presented our history of fashion projects. We each had to study a decade of fashion and teach the class all about our chosen time period. It was really cool to see these people who are becoming my friends talk about fashion because all of us are so interested in the industry and have fallen in love with it. Coming to FIT inspires me to work in fashion because I get to be with people who share the same goals as myself in addition to learning about topics of interest. Who knew that learning about things like color theory could be somewhat fun and motivating?

Inspiration to live my life to the fullest in every aspect comes from many different places. However, I have found that surrounding myself with people who have interests and set goals for themselves is the most inspiring because you’re moving at the same pace as them. If you make friends that don’t have any interest in finding their purpose in life, it’s easy to lose focus of your passions because you’ll end up with no one to cheer you on. I’m really lucky to have friends like this and I appreciate them very much. Experiencing life with people that you love is truly one of the best things.

My friend Julia and I in Central Park!
My friend Julia and I in Central Park!

So I don’t get too emotional, I wanted to end this post on a lighter note and talk about finding inspiration for what I wear. Style inspiration is probably one of the most interesting topics to talk about because an outfit can be inspired by anything! I love looking at what other people are wearing to get inspiration. New York is perfect for people watching and I often see the most interesting ensembles. Recently, I’ve seen unique ways of layering that I’m definitely going to try out. I also find inspiration from people on social media and my favorite celebrities/artists/people. Lately I’ve been finding the best inspiration from past decades and from movie characters. A few of my current style icons are…

• Liv Tyler as Corey Mason in Empire Records (1995)
  • Alexa Chung
  • Kate Hudson as Penny Lane in Almost Famous (2000)

So, where do you find inspiration for your life and/or your outfits? I would love to know, so feel free to comment! Have a great week!

Thanks for reading,

Kenzie Davis

One response to “What Inspires Me”

1. Dottie Krovetcz Avatar
    Dottie Krovetcz

Kenzie, you inspire me to stretch my mind.