Introducing New Precollege Intern: Maria

16 and not pregnant, my name is Maria Rivas. I go to High School of Fashion Industries and art is basically my life. I’ve had two art shows at the MoMA, and one photography show at the Rubin Museum of Art. I’ve lived in brooklyn my entire life, though recently its only where I lay my head to sleep. Though I’m only entering my senior year in September, I’ve got plans for the future. I will be attending Hunter College (they don’t have a choice, they WILL accept me.). I’ll get my bachelors in Art History, then a Masters in Museum Studies, then eventually I will get my PhD. I will become the curator for the MoMA by the age of 27. Watch out world.

Green Day, System of a Down, The Doors, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Sex Pistols, Misfits, Arctic Monkeys, Helmut Newton, Cindy Sherman, Ansel Adams, Stanley Kubrick, Willem De Kooning, and the all mighty Van Gogh are my greatest inspirations and idols. When I’m not practicing yoga, taking pictures or listening to music, I’m sculpting metal wire, studying the piano and music theory, or practicing to be the greatest drummer in the world. I currently have two jobs, one at FIT as a digital photographer and website assistant, and the other at a hospital cafe, working my way to buying my own drum set and my own piano. 

I’m like a pomegranate, you have to get past the outside to get to the good stuff. And even then you have to keep picking at it.

-Maria