John Allen is an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Fine Arts Department of the School of Art and Design at the Fashion Institute of Technology. Mr. Allen, who has taught at FIT since 1997, has also taught at SUNY Purchase and Hunter College, CUNY.
Some of the courses taught through Precollege Programs at FIT include HFA 024: Basic Life Drawing, HFA 145: Design, Composition and Color Theory, and HFA 198: 3-D Design: Our of the Box!
John received his BA from the University of California at Berkeley and his MFA from Hunter College, CUNY.
Professor Allen’s Teaching Philosophy:
My role is to give students the chance to show themselves what they are capable of, and to discover how they can create artwork on their own.
On Precollege Programs:
The Precollege students are very curious and ambitious. Seeing them act on this and being surprised by the work they make is what makes teaching high school students very satisfying.
Most Recent Exhibitions:
Judge for ET Fashion Global Design Awards Spring 2018, to see more information go to: https://www.etfashion.co/gda-judges
- M55 Art, Long Island City, NY, 2009, One person exhibition: “Stereo Float Field Paintings (What’s Up with Red, Yellow, and Blue?)”
- Kingston (NY) Sculpture Biennial, 2005
- New York Foundation for the Arts, Artist Fellowship in Painting (2000, 1994)
- Brandywine Print Workshop, Artist-in-Residence, Philadelphia, PA
- Public Art Fund, Bryant Park Outdoor Sculpture Finalist\
- Jerome Foundation Fellowship
- The New York Times
- ARTS Magazine
- The Boston Globe