Changing for the Better

7.10.14 274
Chanel Handbag – 1955

Hey Mod Mavens,

My mom has been calling me nonstop since I arrived in New York City on Thursday, and every time she does it is to remind me of something or to warn me about a potential danger, and each time she does I remind her, “I am much more responsible when you are not here.” Of course she thinks I am just saying it to reduce the number of grays on her head, but it is true.

Being on my own has really made me rise to the occasion of growing up and facing reality. There weren’t many opportunities to do things for myself back in my small hometown in Florida, so NYC has given me the opportunity to experience all that The Sunshine State cannot.

Today was the first day of classes. I am usually quite introverted, but I quickly realized that would not fly if I stood any chance of not being alone during the lunch hour; I met so many interesting students and got a peek into their perspective of fashion, although at first it was intimidating to have to strike up a conversation on my own.

The classes were fascinating and got me super pumped for the next three weeks. Change is inevitable after all of the knowledge I am going to absorb. My day started with “Develop an Eye for Styling,” which basically affirmed my love for the career path I am hoping to pursue as a fashion stylist. After lunch (which I took at Pita Grill right across FIT – highly recommend), I ventured into “Fashion Forecasting.” The class began with a trip to visit a staff member of the FIT Museum who presented us with clothing from 1900-1990; my kind of history lesson! Being surrounded by fashion educators and lovers is a literal dream come true, and I know I will be learning from the students as much as the professors.

I think I can tell Mom that I will be alright here! What changes do you feel you’re going to go through…or have they already started?

Xoxo, Chari