What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?

What do you want to be when you grow up? A question asked to every single person under the age of 22 from their first day of kindergarten to the day they graduate college. I hate it because I think it’s a cop-out from adults who don’t know any other way to relate to kids. Who don’t know what to say or how to act so they try to relate in a way that they can understand. It’s a definition. A way to compartmentalized people into groups. All any of us want is definition. A way to explain everyone and everything.

I personally hate answering it because I feel some sort of commitment. Like after I say what I want to be that that’s it. That’s who I am and what I have to do. For the longest time when someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up the answer was plain and simple: a fashion designer. Now I have begun to change my mind. My definition of myself had changed, lines have been blurred, truths have been lost. My future isn’t so clear anymore. I don’t know what I want. Now my cop-out answer to that cop-out question is fashion designer because that’s simpler than the truth: I don’t know.

After writing this blog I have become interested in fashion journalism. Working for a magazine or some blog sounds like a lot of fun, who knows if in the next ten years there will still be real magazines.  I have turned into a thing I used to hate and have become what I thought I didn’t want, but what I realize now was that I didn’t know what I was talking about. I love writing about fashion, I love sharing my ideas with people. I have lost some motivation for sewing and designing but who knows. I have years ahead of me to decide, we all do. Nothing is really permanent. We put so much weight on decisions like college and career because we are afraid of making a mistake. But if we regarded these things with more of an open mind, and remembered that there is always room and time for a second chance, maybe things would be a little easier, and maybe we would all be a little happier.

Sophie