Keeping an Open Mind

For my Fashion Forecasting class, we took a trip to Macy’s. We had an assignment, which was to pick a department (either women’s, men’s, children’s, or accessories) and answer a few questions.

macysWhichever department we chose for the assignment had to be the department we use for our end of semester project, in which we must predict a trend for spring 2015.

I was positive that I was going to do my project on womenswear, so I immediately headed towards the 3rd floor, when my friend, Shioban, convinced me to shop around the men’s department first. I’m so happy she did.

Menswear never really interested me. I thought that it was boring, and that there is not much to do with menswear. I was pleasantly surprised by how fascinated I was with it.

mtThe displays were beautiful. The mannequins all looked so dapper, as did the men shopping there. The trend seemed to be a newer, fresher, and more modern gentleman, inspired by the early 20th century. This was further illustrated through one of the sales associate’s bow ties, which was made of wood.

Another sales associate let me in on a secret, bow ties are THE new menswear trend. These were not your basic bow ties either. There were barely any basic blacks to be seen. They came in every color of the rainbow, in every fabric you could ask for, and any pattern imaginable. There was no basic stripes, the were boldly colored.

mt2Red satin bow ties, á la Jared Leto, were flying off the displays. Paisley, geometric prints, houndstooth, and even bow tied with some sparkle woven in were everywhere.

It’s safe to say I’m obsessed with menswear now.

I learned to keep an open mind. The trip taught me that those that are closed-minded will not succeed in fashion. Keep an eye out for old trends that may reappear, like the bow tie. Don’t close yourself off, to fashion or anything else. I didn’t, and now I have a new found love of menswear, and two bow ties.

What do you think about menswear? What do you think about women wearing menswear items?

Until next time,

Arielle