Whimsy in Winter

Winter is a fairytale season.  Ladies, It’s time to break out the babydoll coats, fake fur hats and combat boots. While Christmas and the holiday season do have their fair share of fashion, I’ve always believed that winter fashion was the best. While my personal style is more “soft-grunge” than “fairytale”, I always let my style become more whimsical as the weather gets colder. Because there were no FIT classes this past week, I thought I would share some tips on how to work whimsy into your look, without having to completely change your wardrobe. Fair warning, though…I’m not what one could call a “style guru”. I do well enough with designing and sewing clothes, but I’m far from a stylist!  My tips are mere guidelines instead of actual how-to’s.

First up, Shoes:

Let’s face it, while shoes are a girl’s best friend, they’re expensive!  I wish I could buy a new pair of shoes whenever it strikes my fancy. I’ve noticed that shoes are a great way to harden or soften an outfit. Teen Vogue just featured a photo shoot with feminine frocks and tough combat boots. My favorite pair of shoes to pair with my dresses are my knee high leather lace up boots. Because winter is more whimsical and less “vampire hunter”, I must advise buying cutesy shoes instead of boots. I recently purchased a pair of red brogues with fringe and a slight platform. They we on sale!  (Yes, Black Friday folks, this is how I was able to afford completely random shoes.)   It’s always a good idea to wait until sales to make extra purchases- more money for extra stuff!  If you’re like me and lack fancy, girly shoes: buying a cheap pair just for winter is a good option.

Coats: Coats are a big deal in the winter. For one, they keep you from freezing to death! While having a stylish coat is fun, having a warm one is important. Fashion should be at least a little comfortable!  Coats also happen to be one of the most expensive clothing items, so buying an extra coat isn’t usually an option.  What you can do though, is spruce up your old coat!  Depending on the style of coat you have, you could add a belt.  My coat is a little big, so I added an equestrian belt that I happened to have. Whatever belt you happen to have will do. You can also replace the buttons. Your coat might not have buttons, but if it does, I bet they’re the same color as your coat, which might be black. If your coat has exciting buttons or is not black, stop reading this section and feel very lucky!  For those of us who like black coats and/or have one, adding colorful buttons is a cute way to add a little whimsy. My sister added red buttons to her black coat- pretty cool. You could also buy yourself a capelet. I think capelets are cool. We should all have capelets!

Scarves, hats, and gloves:  A fun and cheap way to look fancy is to buy them in fancy colors.  White, red, or blue are great options.  Scarves, hats, and gloves are pretty useful, so your options are endless.

So…go off and have fun channeling Red Riding Hood, Snow White, Rose Red or anything else that has to do with winter!

Sissi