Introducing New Precollege Blogger: Lindsay

Hey! I’m Lindsay, an incoming senior from Westchester County, New York. I’m obsessed with fashion, so naturally I come into the city as much as possible to experience what I believe is the greatest fashion capital in the world. When I found about FIT’s Precollege Program last summer, I knew I had to sign up. Commuting into one of the coolest parts of New York to take fascinating classes with talented professors and teens from around the country? I couldn’t think of a more perfect way to spend the summer. I immediately enrolled in Anatomy of Fashion and Digital Photography. During the Summer Live program I discovered original Christian Dior sketches in FIT’s designer archives and staged a photo shoot in a professional studio. By the end, I had a scrapbook full of designs, an e-portofilio of my photos, and many new friends who share my interests.

I’m so excited to be back at FIT this summer taking the HAD 150: Magazine Design class, especially because I hope to pursue a career as a fashion journalist. My passions are writing, photography, and fashion, so magazines—which combine all three—are pretty much my life. I read tons of glossies in my spare time and rant about my favorite editorials on my blog, The Style Child (thestylechildblog.com). My dream is to be an editor at a major publication, conceptualizing stories and presenting high fashion in a meaningful way to style-minded readers around the world. Right now I am a TeenVogue fashion click blogger, meaning my posts are published on fashion.teenvogue.com, and I dream of kick starting my career with an internship at TeenVogue after I graduate high school.

When it comes to personal style, I look to girls like Elle Fanning, Hailee Steinfeld, and Alexa Chung for inspiration. I love how these fashion darlings look cool and effortless off duty but bold and glamorous on the red carpet. When someone can take a straight-off-the-runway gown and put their own original spin on it, that’s true style. One of my favorite fashion moments was when Hailee wore a tea-legnth Miu Miu dress with converse sneakers to the 2011 Oscars after party. She made the dress her own by mixing a sporty classic with couture, a look I try to emulate in my own wardrobe. When I’m not working on my blog, I’m training for track and cross country, so I often incorporate athletic pieces into my outfits. I was overjoyed when designers like Marc Jacobs and Stella McCartney showed sporty-chic collections for Summer 2012. I’m always searching style.com for inspiring collections, and every season I decorate a mood board in my room with awesome runway looks to turn to when I’m stuck for an outfit.

I’m so happy to be writing for FIT’s precollege blog this summer. I’ve been posting on my personal blog for years, but having FIT as my platform takes it to a whole new level. I look forward to sharing all my fashion adventures with you!

Until Next Time,

Lindsay