Fashion snobs? Not here.

So I’m stranded at my boyfriend’s in this crazy noreaster, but at least I have my portfolio things with me! (and electricity, my house has
been out since 2 pm yesterday.)

This semester in my Precollege class, I feel more connected than ever with my classmates. It’s a small group, about 12-14 people, and mostly seniors going crazy over planning their portfolio pieces to send in.This works out great, because I love being able to get as much of the professor’s attention as possible with critiquing and helping me improve. With less students in the class, there’s more of a chance to work one on one with the teacher and I just love absorbing as much knowledge as I possibly can. Also, my classmates are great! As shy and soft spoken as I am, I’ve never had a problem finding someone to be friends with in my classes. In high school, it can be hard to find people who have things in common with me. Being so young and passionate about what I want to do in my future, I sometimes feel alienated from peers. However, this all changes when I step into a classroom at FIT. No matter what the class is, or what your classmates want to major in, you will always find that you have something in common with one another. Often, the whole class has something in common!

It’s always been so easy for me to connect with people in my classes there. Starting up a conversation with someone next to you is never awkward, and there’s so much to get to know! Kids come from New Jersey, Connecticut, Upstate New York, or even just a few blocks down to attend FIT. It’s always fun to discuss what life is like in our hometowns, and what we love about fashion, art, and the city. I’ve had classes where I’ve become really close with classmates and others where I only found acquaintances. So far in the class I’m taking now, people are a bit stressed but we’re all able to bond with one another over it, and be there for each other for tips or just words of wisdom.

My biggest tip for breaking the ice with classmates?  “Soo… who wants to go grab coffee during the break?”  (It has yet to fail.)

Karlie