Instructor Spotlight: Su Ku

Su Ku is a dynamic and dedicated fashion design instructor with extensive experience in design. She has been teaching in the Fashion Design-Art Department at FIT since 2012. She taught courses ranging from the first year foundation class to the senior portfolio development class. Before coming to FIT, Su Ku held positions of leadership in the fashion industry such as the Design Director of Liz Claiborne and designed multiple collections addressing all different price-points and lifestyles. She studied art and art history at Yale University as an undergraduate and received a masters degree in Regional Studies from Harvard University, along with a second masters degree in Art History from Columbia University. Su Ku also earned an associate’s degree in Fashion Design from FIT.

Prof. Su Ku teaches the following FIT Precollege Classes:
HSX 090 Fashion Design Using Global Inspiration
HAR 016 Creating the Fashion Figure
JSX 011 Fashion Art: Silhouettes

Teaching Philosophy:

I believe that utilizing history as a research tool to design means that you will never run out of ideas. Combining historical elements together with one’s imagination will create unique designs. I encourage my students to connect with the geniuses of history to find inspirations that will enable them to become great designers.

Industry Experience:
Director of Product Development at Carlisle Collection
Design Director at Liz Claiborne
Designer of Collection at Dana Buchman
Designer at Joseph Abboud

Inspired Designs by Prof. Su Ku:

2 responses to “Instructor Spotlight: Su Ku”

1. Anna Pryce Avatar
    Anna Pryce

Absolutely loved being taught by and spending my Saturday’s with Prof Su Ku. I took the design from global inspiration workshop and learned so many valuable skills thanks to the encouragement and knowledge of this great instructor. Definitely recommend taking a workshop or class instructed by Su Ku, I left feeling more confident in my ability to express well edited, creative designs!

2. Cameron Wilburn Avatar
    Cameron Wilburn

Professor Ku was an extraordinary teacher for me during my summer workshop at FIT. I am extremely grateful to have been taught by her. She is a role model for anyone looking to be in the fashion industry. Professor Ku worked individually with each student and really wanted to make sure we all were doing our very best. I loved being taught by Professor Ku and would recommend her to any aspiring designers!