There’s a first time for everything, right?

Hi all,
A few days ago, we lost one of the most incredible musicians ever alive (in my opinion). His name was Prince Rogers Nelson, and he was my idol in so many ways. I’d like to dedicate this blog post to him. Rest in peace “Prince of all music”- and may you be in heaven where the rain is purple.

Anyway, on a happier note, I recently had my first FIT class!!! My class is located in the Pomerantz building.

pomerantz

Here’s what was on the supply list to bring for my first day of the “Life Drawing for Middle School” class:

• Newsprint or Sketching pad
  • Pencils (HB, 2B, 4B, 6B, 8B)
  • Charcoal (vine or compressed)
  • Kneaded eraser
  • Regular eraser (vinyl or pink)
  • Pencil Sharpener

jitters

So, there I was, outside of FIT and nervous as heck. My advice to new FIT Precollege students who are as anxious as I was is, DON’T BE!! My worried state soon started to dissolve as I met all of the compassionate people who were there to help me succeed. My instructor, Demetrio Belenky, was always making sure we were all okay, and soon I didn’t even understand why I was worried in the first place!

After I’d met my teacher, we all made our way to our room, where I was met with a very pleasant surprise. I’m telling you, that was probably the BEST art classroom I’ve ever been in. Paint was all over the place, I think I even saw some on the ceiling! I felt right at home there.

workspace

Demetrio made us sign a bunch of contracts – and here I was thinking that signing things was only for adults! Then class began and we had to draw picture after picture of a model; in total I drew 16 sketches in one day… We focused on 2-5 minute quick sketches of a model. Below are some pictures of my work:        sketches

Below is one that didn’t turn out so well. (The legs are too thick and aren’t shaped correctly.) I think it’s very important to learn from your mistakes, that’s why I’ve included it for you to see.         oops-legs

When I left for the day, I was so ecstatic that I was finally getting some great instruction. Stay tuned for more as I tackle my homework next…

-Miranda

2 responses to “There’s a first time for everything, right?”

1. Jill Avatar
    Jill

Love the contour drawing – can’t wait to see how your drawing progresses!

2. Precollege Blogger Avatar
    Precollege Blogger

Thanks mom so much for always being there for me! I love you! 🙂