Instructor Spotlight: Ellen Oster

Ellen Oster

Professor Oster has been teaching Textile Design for over 25 years at the Fashion Institute of Technology. She says “I taught the first computer graphics class in FIT, boy have things changed since then!”  She has also been freelancing in the industry for as many years. As a graduate of the Textile Surface Design Department, she is proud to be teaching in that department since her graduation. Prof. Oster received her Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the College of Ceramics at Alfred University.

Professor Oster teaches HTS 173 Designing with Pattern    

Teaching Philosophy:
The most important thing to me is that a student progresses.  I do not believe that there is perfection, if so, life would be stagnant.  I know that we all have the ability to develop skills we need in order to visualize our thoughts.  We just need to remember that improvement takes practice and practice takes time.  In that light, I hope that my students find their voice and enjoy the process of growth and results.

marianne
Artwork by Ellen Oster

On Precollege Programs:
I have been fortunate to teach a number of Precollege programs, both on Saturdays and in the summer.  WOW is all I can say.

I see such bright eyes and minds ready to explore and work hard.  You know this is not like going to camp. Usually it is the student’s decision to focus on what they are interested in, or have decided their career path and are starting young.  So impressive!

Industry Experience/Recent Exhibitions:

demo color board nightflat
Artwork by Ellen Oster

I have designed bedding for Springs Industry, both for their contract bedding division and their juvenile bedding division  I designed licensed graphics such as Superman, Yako, Waco and Dot, Strawberry Shortcake, Clifford the big red dog, I designed infant bedding as well for another company.   I also designed computer graphics for Macy’s and Federal Express. Most recent, my work has been designing prints for companies such as Talbots, a private label for Macy’s and a private label bedding company.

In my spare time, I train artists on using Photoshop for textile design and pattern through on-site classes or webinars, I wrote a book on the same topic, teach yoga and have two patents for a yoga mat I designed.

Work by Professor Oster:
558-1124ATS cabineaudesign1 Geisha A patchwork

large geo1989coord

,