FIT Myths vs. Realities

For the most of us, we’ve done our fair amount of research on FIT before we finally arrived at the classes. I know I definitely did mine, especially going a bit past the official FIT site and information and onto testimonies from current students, alumni, and the like. However, after being in the school for almost a week, I’ve found that not all the preconceptions always match up to the truth. So, I’ve debunked some FIT myths just for you. My myth busting didn’t involve many explosions or potentially deadly experiments, so I do encourage you to try this at home (or campus, technically)!

Myth: Everyone dresses like they’re about to walk a runway, everyday.

Reality: It’s true: FIT students do bring it. But that doesn’t mean everyone is dressed and ready to be in the latest issue of Vogue. Plenty of people just like to dress comfortably (after all, some of us have to wake up pretty early to commute to those AM classes), and even those who dress to impress daily take a day off now and then. Plus, the wonderful thing about being in a school such as this is that individuality is admired, especially in the way you dress. Everyone always wants to see something new, so don’t be afraid to wear what you want to wear.

Myth: The fashion girls are super catty.

Reality: This is a common stereotype, but luckily for everyone it is not one that proves true. My magazine design class is filled with people who are also taking fashion courses during the PM sessions and I’ve also gotten the pleasure to get to know. They are some of the most interesting, kind, and thoughtful people I’ve ever met! Don’t let stereotypes get in the way to what could potentially be a lasting friendship.

Myth: I’m interested in art, but not really into fashion. I guess FIT really isn’t the school for me.

Reality: The FIT precollege program offers far more than just fashion classes! Whether you’re into photography, graphic design, drawing, even computer animation, FIT probably has a class that suits your needs. If this thought is what kept you for signing up for this summer, definitely look into the Saturday/Sunday Live (or workshop) classes in the fall or spring. Precollege really is a great place to learn more about your passion, and meet people with similar interests and goals.

Myth: I’m going to have to work really hard at FIT.

Reality: Actually, no, this isn’t a myth. You will definitely have to work hard, and push your limits. If you want to go to a class where you can sit around and not do much, you’ve come to the wrong place. No matter what class you take, you will have to fine tune your skills, get in the zone, and work like never before. However, if you’re taking a class doing the thing you love, then it will never be a chore.

The expectations of anything will never always meet the realities, so don’t rely on them. Instead, keep an open mind and don’t let other people’s thoughts and opinions cloud your own. Do you have your own FIT preconception that turned out to be nothing but a myth? Leave it in the comments below!

Talk to you soon,

Izzy