FIRST DAY @ FIT ✄

I don’t think my first day of high school could even compare to my first day at FIT’s Precollege Programs. Everybody looked so exited to learn, and trust me, that’s not the case in my high school at all. I loved the energy, the laughs and the positive energy. Most of all I adored the fact that I’d be talking about fashion all day… what a dream come true.

Prior to entering FIT’s Great Hall, my great excitement mixed with sudden anxiousness. I was constantly wondering “What if they don’t like my outfit?” or, “What if I fail at all my classes?” Every negative thought hit me right at those barbie plastered doors of 27th and 7th. Little did I know I had nothing to worry about.

Barbie Exhibit D Lobby

But that wasn’t the case at all, once I stepped in those doors, (and was told to get out and enter through 28th and 7th) I couldn’t believe how good the air felt… not only was there air conditioning, — which is a major plus since the weather is beyond tolerable — but I could just feel the creative aura emanating from every showcased piece of art. From outside of the FIT building, all that I  saw was what I thought were barbie ads, but little did I know that there was a whole clothing line of “Barbie” created by various students at FIT. And they were created with recycled materials, uh, can you say talented!

For my first class (HAD 149: Advertising and Graphics Design Portfolio) we started out with drawing what we “saw,” the picture was turned upside down and upside up. It was supposed to train our mind to recognize different shapes and lines.  We had to draw a picture illustrated by the famous Pablo Picasso. I wouldn’t say that I am a bad illustrator, but I had to reconsider that after I analyzed my final product. I nearly doubled over after I saw my Pablo Picasso reproduction. But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

My version compared to the Original Picasso illustration.

For my last and final class of the day (unfortunately), HPM 067: Manual Patternmaking and Sewing, we got to learn the basics on how to produce a basic shirt out of Muslin. It included lining the fabric up on the mannequin and using the pins to tack the right proportions. Ultimately it was a fun learning experience, given the fact that it was my first time using fabrics to make anything! According to our Professor, our final project consists of us creating a whole dress, wish me luck! Here is my current first day project in the making:

All I can say is, I really love FIT so far, and I hope to meet some more really great amazing people as I gain a lot more knowledge for my designing years to come! 

During the orientation, I just couldn't stop smiling! I knew the next day was going to be fun.
P.S I’ll have outfit segments on every post, but since it was my first day… I sort of forgot! 
XOXO

Tianna

If interested, check out my blogs:

fashionpanoramic.blogspot.com

muffin-t0pless.tumblr.com