Changes

This past Saturday, classes were not in session because of Columbus Day, but it wasn’t exactly a day off. It was a day to catch up on other art work, school work, and develop ideas for my Fashion Portfolio class. Since I got home last Saturday, I could not stop thinking about the garments I want to draw and all the construction details, fabrics, and inspiration sources.

This is my 6th Precollege class. I love FIT, and their Precollege Program. However, things are bound to change with time…

I’ve taken Sewing for Beginners, Beginners Fashion Art, Advanced Fashion Art, E-Portfolio, and Costume and Couture Rendering. I had heard about “The Portfolio Class,” otherwise known as Fashion Portfolio, through some of the other drawing classes I had taken. Up until now, I was learning all the skills I needed to know to get my ideas down on paper, and how to selectively create a collection. I swatched, cut, pasted, and sketched my way through them.

Now?

I’m making my portfolio to apply to FIT! This is the deciding factor of whether or not I will get into The Fashion Institute of Technology, my dream school; this will decide my future. I’ve loved every second that I’ve spent at FIT, but now it’s time for the stress. Up until now I’ve liked what I’ve been doing for the most part, but these days I can’t stop critiquing my sketches. I want to practice all the time, but there’s still a lot of other aspects to my life (which I’ll create a more personal blog for if anyone wishes, haha) that get in the way.

Everyone who “knows” me, knows I want to go to FIT. Everyone knows it’s my top choice. Some even know that, (skip over this if you’re a guidance counselor, please) I only have one back up. So, there’s a lot of stress on this class. Sure, there has been stress on others, but this is an all new kind of stress! All my friends, family, and teachers are putting stress on me to find back-ups. As much as some people don’t understand what it’s like to know what you want to do at such a young age, they also don’t know what it would be like to know there’s a school out there that’s absolutely perfect, and have to look for those “just-in-case” schools.

Karlie