Time to Say Goodbye: Reflections, Regrets and Advice for Future Students

What a busy weekend I’ve had this spring, driving to New York every Saturday with my mom, who has been so devoted to waking me up at seven in the morning. I definitely could not have experienced Precollege Programs without the help of my mom. By this time, I can reflect about the things I regret and wish had done better over the past several weeks.

1. Time management. There’s a blog I’ve written that is all about how I control my use of time, or at least attempt to, in the midst of a homework-packed schedule and extracurricular activities for school. Make sure you know what is happening in your life—create a calendar or use a schedule organizer on your phone to keep upcoming events on time. That way, you know when you have time to work on fashion sketching or whatever assignment from class.
  2. Transportation. Unfortunately, and I cringe at this, I never went on the train. I constantly claimed to plan to ride the train this weekend, but it never happened. For me, the problem was that I had other plans that conflicted with the train time schedule. Going to New York by our efficient Prius was definitely not a burden, but the train is much faster.
  3. Commitment. To succeed in the class, whether for designing, marketing, or sewing, put your heart into it! I love fashion and the magical feeling I get when I immerse myself in its world, but in order to apply the most of myself to a sketch I am working on, I need to plan ahead and save time.

These three factors in my experience are correlated, so think about these before you take class, and if it cannot be fit into your schedule, sign up for the summer classes. Don’t let a time problem thwart you from taking a class, especially if it has to do with your passion.

I can’t call myself a New Yorker yet, although I would love to live in the city one day after college. The city exuberates with vibrancy, and I soak up the atmosphere without taking it for granted. Anyone living close enough to commute to New York should take advantage of the proximity, so consider yourself lucky!

I’ll never forget the skills I have acquired and the time I have spent during the span of my two classes from last year and this spring. Thank you, FIT!

Jenn