An Update On My Fine Arts Portfolio Class

Hey Y’all!I hope all of your classes are going well and that you’re all having loads and loads of fun working on your semester projects and whatnot.

I mentioned in last week’s post that I am currently enrolled in HFA 148: Fine Arts Portfolio. I decided to take this course because I wanted to expand the body of work that I could potentially use for my portfolio. I want to incorporate a variety of pieces into my portfolio and I knew that taking an FIT course would allow me to do so. So far I have learned a lot about proportion and volumes in a drawing, as well as how to determine a light source and how to incorporate shadow into a piece. I have also learned to never ignore the background in a drawing; it’s imperative that the focal point of a piece not look like it’s floating around in space.

My professor is really insightful and provides us with a lot of advice on how to make our work look more realistic. He’s taught us to use really light strokes at the start of a new piece so that we have the opportunity to edit anything as we move along. As of now, the course has focused mainly on drawing the figure from observation. We do a lot of warm up gesture drawings (these are just really simple sketches of the body and we’re given about 1 minute to complete them) and then we progress into longer sketches that can range from 20 minutes to 1 hour. We also have the choice to move about the classroom so that we can see the model from a different perspective. In between our drawing periods, our professor talks a lot about the anatomy of the human body as well as the techniques of different master artists.

This course has been great so far and I’m super excited to see what else we’ll be working on!

nicol xx