Friendships and Field Trips!

Wow, another week down! I hope everyone had a great second week at Summer Live!

Today we went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art on the 5th avenue. It’s one of my favorite places because even though I want to major in graphic design, I still love fine art…a lot (and the Roman and Greek statues are great to practice your drawing!). After a 15 minute subway ride, we were there! My class was going to go to the Alexander McQueen exhibit, but we didn’t get to go in because there was a 1 and a half hour wait! But no worries, we went to other exhibits. The class split up into two groups and my group went up to the rooftop garden. It was absolutely beautiful! I saw NYC on a whole new level, literally!

When we went back inside, we saw the modern art and photography exhibits. I loved how some of the photos contained typography. This one really stood out to me, don’t you love the color type and lines with the black and white photo?

I’ve met some pretty awesome people the past 2 weeks. It’s great being in a class where everyone shares the same interest as you. I don’t go to a high school specializing in art, so finding people in a regular high school who share a strong interest in art is hard. I feel like everyone in our class really opened up to one another when we had our first critique. Now, everyone’s complimenting each others work and I’m finding myself becoming less shy when I want to ask for other peoples opinion on my work. The one thing that I hate about commuting is that I can’t really hang out with my new friends after class because I have to catch the train home!

Everyone on the FIT campus is extremely friendly. I love meeting new people and talking about other peoples classes. Just by sitting outside drawing today, I met some new people!

Did anyone else go on a field trip this week or meet some new people on campus?

And now… to start thinking about my final project (it involves some photography, can you guess what I’m doing?)

Victoria