Is that prospect really a potential client?

Or are they just wasting your time?

You’re on the phone for hours with them. You’ve explained your entire process of how you are going to do the project for them – and they keep asking you to explain the same information over and over. You finally say to them, “I’m sorry, if I go further at this point that’s work product and that’s doing the job before I have it.”

You’re frustrated and are suffering from the equivalent of road rage (client rage?).

Here’s a sampling of might be causing this behavior:

o   They are not the final decision maker, they’re just the tire kicker

o   They have no idea what they are doing and

§  Need reassurance from someone in their own group or company

§  Hope you’ll educate them

o   They don’t have confidence in your company (fear of the unknown)

o   Generic inertia, idle curiosity, or comparison shopping (they already have a pet vendor)

o   They are really just BS’ing and were never intent on moving forward

o   They’re trying to make networking points with you or the referral

A trusted client referred a colleague to me for work. I told him what had transpired (endless hours of explanation) on the phone and in-person. The response was that the person was a moron (actually, much stronger language was used). My client told his colleague that he would never again refer a vendor to this guy because he abused them.  Sometimes there is justice.

Some questions to qualify the prospect so they don’t waste your time:

• Find out who makes the final decision. Offer to email THEM your company info and questionnaire to help get their project in focus
  • Ask for the close. If you don’t get it, find out why and what you have to do to get it – this forces them to put up or shut up
  • Ask when the project needs to be done – is it soon or in a month or two – if they don’t know, that’s your answer

Sandra Holtzman teaches CEO 035: Licensing.