“She sits beside me like a silhouette”

As told to by fourth semester photography student Haleigh Foray: 

It’s my job as a photographer to make my subject feel comfortable and real in front of the camera. Yet I wasn’t able to feel that way myself as a subject. How could I ask someone to do that for me? During a six-week project I became more myself and free.

At the start of winter break, Professor Curtis Willocks assigned a project to our Traditional Photography (PH253) class. We were to assume the role of a LIFE magazine photographer of the 1950s. Any topic was fair game, even if it had a contemporary relevance. In deciding what to capture, I kept coming back to self-portraiture.

I came across a project “Self-Untitled” by photographer Samantha Geballe. Her work explores body image through self portraits. She states: “envisions the feeling that false interpretation provokes.” She put herself forward with nothing to hide — something I’ve struggled with doing.  My  focus was to be comfortable and confident in front of the camera, whether I or another photographer was taking the photographs.

Haleigh Foray
“Haleigh’s work is just beautiful. Her composition, her use of light, her style. She’s sensitive to people, always helping and assisting others, and now she’s applying that sensitivity to herself.
“This project gave her the chance to express herself–who she is as a young woman” – Professor Curtis Willocks

There was a musical component that set the tone of the project: “She sits beside me like a silhouette sings Harry Styles in a song from his recent album. Those words took on a special meaning–Silhouettes show your body.

Women are still expected to act and look a certain way in projecting their confidence and beauty that’s limiting in scope. I wanted to show that you just need to own your body for what it is now, in the present.

Photos provided by Haleigh Foray