Introducing Precollege Blogger: Kaela

KaelaBuggy_precollegeblogger
Hi everyone! My name is Kaela and I am 14 years old. Growing up in a relatively small town in Connecticut, I’ve found that everyone has a passion, and whether you are a sports fanatic or a theater kid, you have to figure out what your own passion is. When I was in first grade I found mine. I have always been interested in anything that is even remotely related to the large world of fashion: the culture, the construction, and especially the design.

It started with my incredibly influential math tutor, Nancy. Nancy, a devoted grandmother who loved children and quilting, always had an exquisite new pattern neatly placed on the floor of her office. I was too shy to ask about it so I just admired the great work of art from a far. After weeks of my some-what-secret admiration, I asked her about her hobby. We would talk for hours about the experiences she’s had and the pieces she’s made and with every story, I wanted even more to learn the amazing skill of sewing. One day, Nancy was extra ebullient as I walked up the long pathway leading to her home. She ushered me inside and explained there was a “special surprise” waiting for me in the office. I eagerly walked up the spiral staircase leading to my surprise and, to my amazement, Nancy presented her own sewing machine. She told me her plan to give me the beautiful Singer ever since she caught me marveling at her quilts. Nancy told me how important it is to find a passion and she encouraged me to pursue it.

This spring, I am taking the “Sewing for Fashion Designers” course here at FIT. My first day of class came with great anticipation of finding my classroom and introducing myself to everyone. This anticipation was silenced after my professor took attendance. She needed to pick up some supplies for us in another classroom and suggested the class learn each other’s names, but after she left, minutes of awkward silence took her place. I decided to open the floor by recommending we play a name game. Dozens of eyes stared at me for a second and I expected a snarky remark like, “that’s stupid” or “go back to kindergarten”, but my suggestion was actually met with kindness. Immediately everyone participated in saying their name, where they are from, and what their favorite tropical fruit was. I was impressed that we could make such a ridiculous game be so amusing. This experience has motivated me to continue taking classes at FIT. Over the summer, I plan to take a four day “The Fabulous World of Fashion Forecasting” workshop, which will help me in my designing.

If there is one thing I could tell you, despite how cliche it might sound, it is to find something you love to do and practice, because no matter how hard it can be at some times, It will definitely be worth it in the end. I am so excited to be here with you and can’t wait to see you next time, bye bye!

~Kaela

2 responses to “Introducing Precollege Blogger: Kaela”

1. Lyn Gaulle Avatar
    Lyn Gaulle

This is so cool! Very interesting to see budding fashion industry professionals!

2. asad Avatar

i like your blog , i am fashion designer as well . you are really inspiring