What Sums Up Myself – My Inspiration

Growing up, I have always been the oddball in the family. From my style, interests, habits, and so much more, I always seemed to be much different than many other people of my surroundings. But,  I don’t take it as a bad thing, but much more of originality. All of the inspiration of who I am has come from so many different things. Especially my fashion and art.

visual kei clothing store in Japan
visual kei store in Japan
X-Japan
X Japan

My Fashion taste has come from many different genres. Most of my inspiration comes from many sub genres in Japan. One of them being Visual Kei. If you’ve never heard of Visual Kei, here’s a brief description:

Visual Kei stand for “visual system.” Mostly dressed by Rock/metal bands, it started to emerge in the mid 1980s by many bands such as (one of my favorite heavy metal bands) X Japan!

Much of the style has some vibrant colors, chains, and layers. It’s also very popular for its choices of shoes- which mostly consist of platforms (which I totally love)! Even though this genre of fashion is very much out there and very different, I find it so interesting and just awesome!

Creepers (both used in Visual Kei and Pastel Goth)

Another Fashion genre that I’m so truly interested in is Pastel Goth. Pastel Goth is more girlier than regular Goth, I should say. Pastel Goth is not entirely an official genre of fashion, but more of a sub genre of Nu Goth. But, I think it has grown and emerged from Japan, and I think it will continue to be shown and worn later on in the future. Pastel Goth consists of Pastel colors, the color black, crosses, chains, cute studs, and also platform shoes!

Two more genres of clothing that inspires me are Retro and Indie fashion. They are both very laid-back, and it’s something I’d like to wear on a everyday basis.

Camilla D’Errico Sanrio Collaboration
Caia Koopman- Escape

Art is so very dynamic to me. One person that inspires me is Camilla D’Errico. Camilla is a Canadian comic book illustrator, painter, and visual artist. Her art to me is so very unique. Each peace can indicate a different type of art and a different feel.  She has come so far with her art and that is why she inspires me.

Another artist that inspires me is Caia Koopman. She also has her very own unique art that captures my eye every time!

emancipator
sleep party people
Sleep Party People

Music brings so many ideas and new perspectives to my life. I listen to wide range of artists and genres of music. A few artists in particular that has brought such wonderful thoughts and happiness to myself is Emancipator. Doug Appling, but better known as Emancipator, is a trip hop artist that’s from Portland, Oregon. His music can bring so many things to mind. It inspires me to create, build, and also feel satisfied with anything I do. Sleep Party People also has the same affect on me. Although, some of their music can be a bit chilling, it really all depends on your mood!

Another artist that inspires me is Hammock, a two member rock band from Tennessee. Their music really opens up to many different feelings and such for me. Which I can take advantage of for when i want to draw and be creative.

Books and magazines also inspires me as well! Some of my favorite book series are The Mortal Instrument series, Blue is for Nightmares , and Ghostgirl (Tonya Hurley has to be my favorite writer, ever). Most magazines I read are Teen Vogue, Vogue, seventeen magazine, and KERA (japanese magazine)!

As you can see, there is a lot that inspires me. I always take notice in many things and it all plays a part in my mind (which is possibly filled with ninjas, mermaids, and unicorns covered in glitter). All of this sums up for who I am, and who I’m planning to be. All I have to do is make it fall into place!

Until next week, Sayonara Minna (さようならみんな)!

Jharline